The Petzl – Reactik + Headlamp
The Petzl Reactik+ is the latest version of the Petzl Headlamp. This is a very powerful headlamp offering 300 lumens of brightness and 17 hours of maximum battery life.
In 2016, it replaced the very popular Petzl Tikka. The Petzl Reactik+ is an excellent headlamp for hiking, camping, and all other outdoor activities. If you plan on spending the night in the wilderness, this is the headlamp to bring with you.
This headlamp belongs in every “real” survival kit!
Weight: 4.1 oz./ 115 grams
Maximum Brightness: 300 Lumens
Maximum Distance: 360 feet / 110 meters
Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery or AAA battery pack that must be purchased separately
Rating: 9.8 out of 10
Best Place to Buy: Amazon
Price: $106.96 + $32.73 Shipping and Import Fees
Amazon Prime: Get Amazon Prime and save all these shipping fees. Do not miss out on this super Amazon feature. Shipping can greatly increase your costs and Amazon Prime can be of great benefit to reduce your shipping costs.
- this is a reliable, powerful headlamp offering 300 lumens of brightness
- a sensor which analyses the ambient light and adjusts the beam pattern and brightness accordingly. This is called reactive lighting mode
- the reactive lighting feature can be turned off so that the headlamp provides stable brightness despite the ambient light and surroundings
- when the reactive lighting is turned off, the maximum battery life is 17 hours
- you don’t have to worry about regulating brightness in relation to battery consumption; the headlamp will adjust itself to achieve the optimal results
- the headlamp is equipped with a lock feature, preventing the headlamp from accidentally turning on, which is useful when you carry it in a backpack
- can be used with a night vision device
- it is equipped with a red lighting feature
- the battery is rechargeable by a micro USB cable
- also works with disposable batteries, (adapter is required)
- a Bluetooth chip which allows you to adjust the headlamp’s beam pattern, brightness and battery burn time from your smartphone (the Petzl app is available for iOS and Android devices)
- the beam pattern and brightness can also be adjusted on the headlamp without the app
- you can still choose between 3 different battery modes – Max Power, Standard and Max Autonomy
- the battery modes are handy for predicting how long the battery will last
- in Max Power mode the battery will last for approximately 2.5 hours, in Standard mode for approximately 5 hours and in Max Autonomy mode for approximately 10 hours.
- the brightness sensor operates in all three modes
- incredible performance
The Bad and The Ugly
- expensive, you get what you pay for! … so this is not really an issue.
- you must purchase the “AAA” battery pack separately
Personal Thoughts and Conclusions
I have been using headlamps in outdoor hardcore settings for years. In addition to the outdoors, I use headlamps in heavy construction during winter hours. Rough and tumble environments and use during heavy rains are your biggest enemies.
In all my years of work and play, I always hear the same stories about tools and toys. Better quality tools and toys always perform better than cheaper less expensive tools. You get what you pay for.
Just as important as product quality is how you maintain your tools and toys.
How well do you take care of your things? … your gear, your stuff!
Some people NEVER read instructions, abuse the product, and the complain that the product is a piece of garbage. Well, in my opinion, most of the time, they are!
For example, this headlamp is rated at IPX4, which is splash proof.
IPX4 is defined as Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect, utilizing either: a) an oscillating fixture or b) A spray nozzle with no shield. Test a) is conducted for 10 minutes. Test b) is conducted (without shield) for 5 minutes minimum.
Waterproof implies that you can go scuba diving with it.
This is not a scuba diver’s light.
Heavy rain is not a problem!
This is not a cheap or inexpensive headlamp but I would highly recommend it to all serious, hardcore outdoor enthusiasts.
The Petzl Reactik+ headlamp features constant lighting technology.
The brightness and beam distance don’t decrease when the headlamp is running low on battery.
Comments, Questions, and Suggestions
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions about this headlamp or other headlamps that can be used in an outdoor or natural setting, do not hesitate to leave them in the space below.
If you need further assistance to light up your outdoor world.